Saturday 25 June 2011

Volunteer Run Museums

Today I supported two of my local volunteer run museums Dad's Army Museum and Charles Burrell Museum by visiting them. I had intended on visiting them both for a long time, and took my parents with me aswell.

Particularly at the Dad's Army Museum, it was great to see the dedication of the volunteers in making the museum a success and ensuring that the visitors (of which there were many) had a great time. I would really love to see the Charles Burrell Museum revitalised with better opening hours and joining the other two museums in Thetford as a really positive heritage centre for the town; locals and visitors. Possible volunteering opportunity, perhaps?

Researching museums for my dissertation today, it really surprised me how many museums are purely volunteer run. Now, I've got my feet on the ground and knew that there were a lot but I was still surprised by the sheer volume of them! I wonder how much of the museum sector are purely volunteer run, I should think that they outnumber local authority and national museums. Anybody know? Are there any statistics out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment